A CDE Definition
(1) See ghosted.
(2) A faint second image that appears close to the primary image on a CRT. A CRT ghost is an electronics synchronization problem.
(3) A faint second image that appears close to the primary image on a printout from a mechanical printer. It is caused by bouncing print elements as the paper passes by.
(4) A double image appearing in 3D shutter glasses due to synchronization issues. See 3D sync.
(5) To make an exact copy of an operating system or the contents of a hard disk for backup or for migrating to another computer. Aptly named, Norton Ghost is a popular utility that duplicates the contents of a hard drive. The program can also be used to copy failing disks, taking hours to complete the operation, because it has to re-read marginal sectors over and over. See ghosting server and cloning software.
(6) A secondary signal in a communications transmission that arrives ahead of or later than the primary signal.
Before/After Your Search Term
|Get Info||ghost blogger|
Terms By Topic
Click any of the following categories for a list of fundamental terms.