A CDE Definition
silicon on sapphire
(1) (Silicon On Sapphire) An MOS chip-fabrication method that places a thin layer of silicon over a sapphire substrate (base). This technique was used for earlier LSI fabrication, but not considered useful for higher-density VLSI chips. See SOI.
(2) (Systems On Silicon) A complete system on a single chip. See SoC.
(3) (System Of Systems) An umbrella term for integrating and managing multiple independent, self-contained systems as a single entity.
(4) (Server Operating System) An operating system that resides on the server.
(5) (Sophisticated Operating System) The operating system in the Apple III. See Apple III.
Before/After Your Search Term
Terms By Topic
Click any of the following categories for a list of fundamental terms.